The BEST mince pie recipe EVER!!!
This pastry is so short and crumbly it requires delicate hands, but well worth it, they are the best mince pies you’ll ever taste!!
226 grams plain flour
85 grams salted butter
85 grams trex or cooking lard
1 tablespoon (approximately) very cold water
1 x 441 gram jar of quality sweet mince meat filling
- Put the plain flour and chilled butter (chopped up into small pieces) in a bowl and rub together to a crumb consistency.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cold water and mix together until it forms a ball. You may need a little more water.
- Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and fold until the pastry comes together, be careful not to over mix.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for 10 mins
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Roll out the pastry to 3mm thick.
- Using a round cutter (about 10cm), cut out 16 bases and place them into muffin trays. Put 1½ tbsp mincemeat mixture into each. Brush the edge of each pie with a little beaten egg.
- Re-roll out the pastry to cut 7cm lids and press them on top to seal. Glaze with the beaten egg, sprinkle with the extra caster sugar, then make a small cut in the tops.
- Bake the mince pies for 15-20 mins until golden brown. Leave to cool before releasing them from the muffin trays and dusting with a little more icing sugar before serving.