The best Paella recipe EVER!!!
I’ve served this Paella to many clients, friends and family, and they all agree, it’s the best paella they have ever eaten!
400ml chicken stock (homemade is best, but you can buy fresh stock or use cubes)
50ml olive oil
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
6 king prawns
300g chicken ( can be breast or thighs and legs)
200g chorizo peeled and sliced
200g squid ( fresh or frozen, cleaned and sliced into rings)
200g fresh mussels in shells
200g bomba paella rice
1 red pepper
100g tomato sofrito ( a tomato sauce made with fried softened onions, splash of red wine, dried mixed herbs, tinned tomatões, simmer for 20 minutes, or you can buy a jar or tomato herb pasta sauce)
1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads (toasted and ground up)
salt and pepper
fresh chopped parsley
Pre heat oven to 150c/300f/Gas mark 2
1. Heat the stock in a pan and keep warm on a low heat. Cut the red pepper into 4 and de seed, then roast in the oven with a little olive oil for about 10 minutes.
2. Heat the olive oil in a paella pan over a low heat and fry the garlic gently.
3. Add the chorizo and fry for a couple of minutes, then remove and set aside.
4. Add the chicken pieces and brown. The thighs and legs take longer, get the skin nice and brown and then push to the side of the pan. If using breasts just lighly brown and remove from the pan and set aside.
5. Add the squid rings and fry lighltly for a couple of minutes, leave in the pan.
6. Add the rice and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly until all the rice is coated with thhe oil, do not allow to burn.
7.Add the tomato sofrito and cook for a few minutes, mixing well and scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula and mix well.
8.Add paprika and saffron and stir well.
9.Add the stock and stir well, and spread out all the ingredientes evenly in the pan.
10. Set a timer to 20 minutes. Increase the heat, bring to a boil and cook over a very high heat for 5 minutes until the rice bubbles to the surface of the liquid.
11. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
12.After 5 minutes on the stove remove and add the prawns. If using chicken breatsts add now . Arrange the chorizo on top and put uncovered in the oven for the remaining 15 minutes. Meanwhile steam the mussels in a little water and drain.
13. Check the rice to see if it is cooked. If it isn’t put it back in the oven for a few minutes.
14. When cooked, arrange mussels on top and cover with foil and rest for at last 5 minutes, THIS IS IMPORTANT!
15. Garnish with lemon wedges and chopped fresh parsley and serve.